CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »


An Adventure in Living, Loving, Laughing and Learning

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wonderful Evening


I am on such a high right now....its fabulous! Last night I attended the Premier's Awards of Excellence in Education - this is quite the doo, especially for a lowly student intern like myself but my professor invite a few of us so the 8 of us headed to the event which was a 2 hour drive away. It was a formal affair (hence the jewelry I bought on the weekend at the party) so I got out my black dress which has a low V-line but covers the girls completely and got all dolled up - hair, makeup, jewelry, heels, the works.

I knew this would be an important event and even more importantly that I would have to put on my best and be my best. As soon as we got there it was a lovely cocktail hour with appetizers and wine and then of course my porfessor gives us an assignment - to talk to 3 people we do not know and get there names. Normally this is not a problem but its a tad intimidating to be in the presence of so many powerful and important people at this teachers awards when you're not even a teacher yet! Ah! So one of the girl who has a lot of pep and is very eager was talking up someone and our prof pointing out "see she is doing it already", so this set the tone...
I saw the registrar at my undergraduate university and I don't know him but know of him so that's who I sought out first and spoke with him and met his wife, absolutely wonderful and kind people. Then I saw an old teacher from High School, then my ABSOLUTE favourite teacher and gave her a big hug and spoke briefly (she was helping with the event so she was busy running around), then I spoke to a new person - a teacher who had a medal on because she won an award, that was easy because I started talking to her by saying Congrats. All is good, teachnically I have met 3 new people and know their names.
Then, its intermission for 15 mins or so and I see someone very influential in the Disctrict I wish to work in. He was talking to a few other people and then these people disbursed and he was alone for 2 seconds before I realized I had walked over to him and then I introduced myself and had a nice chat about my interning in Australia and even joked a bit - SUCCESS!
I was extremely proud of myself for having the guts to go up to him like that and was very exciting BUT I didn't stop there. I walked up to the Premier and introduced myself!!!! He was also very pleasant to talk toand again I was very impressed with myself.
With all this excitement in the short intermission, I may have forgotten to breath because when I went back to the group I was with and we were standing there I was naseaus and felt like I HAD to sit down or I may faint. Luckily, I was able to calm myself down and was excellent after that and went back in to enjoy the show.
This night was a truly fabulous and exciting night for me. I was able to get dressed to impress and talk to some very influential people and meet some friendly, kind people all while enjoying an evening that was to congratulate educators. While the awards were being presented, I was teary-eyed twice because of the moving stories and testimonies shown from students and other colleagues. The entertainment was hilarious and the musician was amazing and the night was blissfully pleasant....better actually.
I left there on a high, excited and motivated to teach and to teach in a way that would engage my students and tend to their needs, in a way that touch each and every students lives. I aspire to be as great as those who were recognized last night, to be an educator of excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment